Sunday, February 10, 2008

How the mighty are fallen






Imagine my surprise to stumble upon a little exhibition of Julian Schnabels work whilst out with the kids the other day. Tucked away in Thumb Plaza is the humble Zendai Museum of Modern Art, a little brother to the MOCA (contemporary art) in Renmin Park. Its a nice space but poorly maintained, hit and miss curatorially and I suspect woefully under-attended (this is, after all, Pudong not Puxi). I really like schanbels work, even his plate paintings look worthwhile in the flesh. Funny how already it looks a bit dated- its the stuff I was crazy about when I left college cos it was so edgy, and that was barely 10 years ago. Matilda was shocked to see the word SHIT in one of them. I was encouraged and relieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment