Friday, December 7, 2007

Off the rails so easily

My recent surgery and the ensuing incapacitation have made me realise (just like millions of (well documented) heart op and life saving patients before me, just how delicate the balance of daily trudgery is. The school run, making sandwiches, shaving, sitting, sleeping, washing up- all these things have had to be radically adjusted to fit in with my new physical state. Although I am regaining feeling and movement in the leg, I am still a long way from being able to action any of the afore mentioned daily nothings without quite some consideration and planning.

I will not bother to wax lyrical about the fragility of life and the taking for granted etc etc- millions before me have done so more competently and in a more qualified manner. I am just fascinated by the ways in which such mundane normality can be undone in a single (knee)twist, and how much effort and metamorphosis can be required to resume some semblance of that normality.

No comments:

Post a Comment