Wednesday, September 5, 2007

back in the flow

As a creative journal, this blog has fairly satisfied its cause. the lack of contributions over the last few days belie a genuine lack of creativity or inspiration on my part, other than those thoughts that spring forth whilst I am ironing, cleaning, washing clothes or feeding offspring.

Today however I find myself inspired by a visit to the Zendai museum of Modern Art. Inspired inspite of what I saw, as opposed to directly by it. I was happy to have critically written off one of the exhibitions there- of so called 'new painting' (a bland description of a flimsy concept if you ask me...) a genre in which the painting occupies more than just a wallspace, but where it comprises some sort of installation in that it its environment and the manner in which it deals with a subject or emotion transgress the traditional conceptual arena of figurative painting. To me its like painters tryng to get in on the installation/coneptual act, despite being confined to 2 dimensions. Any conceptual angle that these artists try to engineer seems trite and (to use a matthew collings phrase) a bit windy. the paintings were still hung on the wall, and that an ultraviolet light would intermittently reveal som 'underpainting' did not to me generate the conceptual notion of an installation. It would be to do installation art down to concede that such gimmickery be reclassified thus. Add to this the fact that the concepts revealed by the intermittent switching of these lights was flaky to say the least (portrait of bush is suddenly revealed as bin laden, asian business man is revealed as skull etc etc) and you have little more than ambitious diploma level teenage mediocrity. So nerr.

No comments:

Post a Comment