Monday, August 20, 2007

A very strange thing happened today...

...as I was lying on the floor in the lounge I noticed that my body had begun secreting a very fine oily substance- not quite a liquid, but certainly not a gas or solid. I had never noticed it before, but was definitely aware of something as I lay there. the sun streamed in through the large window that faces the city, and I thought I might have been sweating. However, in the same way that you accept that if you sit in a hot bath your forehead will pirspire with small droplets of salty sweat, so I accepted that secreting something oily was a rational thing for my body to do as I lay on the floor of a luxury apartment in a strange city. I didn't have anyone to tell about it, so I just lay there for a bit, thinking about the chores that were ahead of me for the rest of the day. I had made good progress with cleaning the floors, and polishing the surfaces- a task which had left me feeling tremendously satisfied upon completion- perhaps because it was the first real task I had completed in around six weeks. Everything else in that time had been compromised in some way due to the fact that I was living out of a suitcase and so nothing that I had executed felt like it had any permanence or lasting effect. All had been transitory and ethereal until the polishing. Now the gleaming surfaces- my gleaming surfaces- provided concrete evidence of a very real sense of completion. As such I looked forward to sweeping the three flights of mahogany stairs, but only after a new cup of coffee. My thoughts drifted to the other two people who could well have been lying down- or producing oily myrrh- at this time in their respective corners of the world- one in New York and the other in London. And of course of the imlpications of eternal life that the reality of my secretions behest.

No comments:

Post a Comment